Variationen einer Gang-Röhre (Variations on a Tubular Corridor) (1973) – Bernhard Leitner
- photochemical etching
- * 1938 in Feldkrich (AT), lives in Vienna (AT)
In New York in the late 1960s, the Austrian architect and sound artist Bernhard Leitner began to design his first sound-space sculptures. Initially these remained sketches and models. It was not yet possible to technically realize sound architecture using multiple audio channels.
Bernhard Leitner’s first walk-in sound-spaces, whose visible architecture consists of wooden slats and loudspeakers, were Sound Lock, Sound Gate and Sound Tube, created in 1971. In these sound-space sculptures, he worked with architectonic, visual, choreographic, and musical parameters. The acoustic potential of the sound-space sculptures lies in a variety of possible sound-spaces and motions, which Leitner sketches in scores for the spaces.
Further works in the exhibition
Pulsierende Stille (Pulsating Silence)
Ton-Liege 1975 (Sound Chair)
SOUNDCUBE 1970. Vier Ton-Architekturen (SOUNDCUBE 1970. Four Sound-Architectures)
Abb.: © ZKM | Karlsruhe, Foto: Steffen Harms